Friday, June 3, 2011

Dutch Oven Chicken

Lark's Country Heart    Dutch Oven Chicken
Oh I LOVE Dutch Oven Cooking! I don't get to do it often, due to the time it takes to cook. However it it SO WORTH THE TIME!  And it is fairly simple to put together. I learned how to Cook in a Dutch Oven from my Dad. He is such a great person to look to for all my Dutch Oven recipes. He is always looking for that perfect cobbler. I will share one of his favorite's later on in the summer months. For now I will share MY recipe for this crispy, full of flavor Dutch Oven Chicken.

Now if you have never cooked in a Dutch Oven before, you always start by getting those BBQ briquettes HOT! I next place 6 slices of raw bacon in the bottom of the dutch oven. *I do this just to grease the bottom of the pan so the chicken wont stick. Some people just use lard.*

Make sure to rinse chicken and place in a large bowl.
Pour 1 quart of Buttermilk over chicken. 
Let set while coals are getting hot.

Chicken Coating
You can double this mixture accordingly to how much
chicken you are cooking.

2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Salt
 Mix together well.

When coals are hot and bacon semi-cooked, take each piece of chicken and coat in flour mix. Place Skin side down in pan. Then just start layering on top.(skin side up)  Place lid on dutch oven.


Place hot coals into a pit, or hole in the ground. Place dutch oven on top of them. And more hot coals on the lid. And let it cook. I usually check on it after about 1 hour....however my Dad says this is a NO-NO! (I just have to make sure it's not burning)  A LARGE batch of chicken will take about 1 1/2 hrs.- 2 hours to cook. (around 20-25 pieces) 


And doesn't it look mouth watering? 
If you can find the time, it is well worth it.


Enjoy!
Lark


 

5 comments:

Carolina HeartStrings said...

I have always wanted a dutch oven.This wonderful looking recipe is the pefect reason to get one! Thanks for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Lark this sounds amazing girl!!! There is just nothing like Dutch Oven chicken!! Yummmmo!! : D. Thanks so much for being my guest the other day! Your such a sweetie and I've just loved getting to know you! Hope you have a great weekend!

Tricia Buice said...

Yes it does look mouthwatering! Yummy - glad it is the weekend because I may have to give this a try!

Donna Preston said...

I've just started making my chickens in a dutch oven too. Perfection! Just wanted to let you know that I've bestowed the Versatile Blogger Award on you. Stop by my site to check it out. I'm at whatthedogate.blogspot.com.

The Better Baker said...

No doubt this is a very tasty dish. I don't have a dutch oven...just yet. So glad you shared.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...