Friday, July 8, 2011

Guest Post by Basil Momma!

I was so excited when Heather said she would do a guest post for me. I feel like I have known her forever. In reality I haven't even meet her. It was just the more we blogged back and forth the more I new I had found a friend! BONUS that she is a fabulous cook! Heather is also a Strong, Powerful Pink Warrior! By the off chance that you have not visited her blog Basilmomma go do yourself a favor and spend some time there today!
Thank you so much Heather for "paying it forward"!!

The Basilmomma !
A few weeks ago when I was asked by Lark to do a guest post on her blog I was overjoyed!  I love doing this and I am happy to do this for Lark!  We have never formally met but I feel like I have known her a lifetime.  She and I have a lot in common and I think we would make great friends.  Recently, I entered a dessert in Lark’s ‘Baking up a Cure’ fundraiser.  This is an issue that is close to my heart so I jumped at the chance to do it!  She lives the idea if ‘Pay it Forward’ so I want to do the same.


So you would think it would be easy to pick something to do in a guest post, but for me it isn’t.  But what I did pick is sure to tickle your taste buds and make your family happy as well.  Don’t be thrown off by the ingredients in the glaze.  It really works well together.  I am such a fan of basil, in anything, so it is fitting that I made a cake using one of my favorite ingredients!
Basilmomma
Pound Cake with Lemon Basil Glaze


Cake:
10 TB softened butter
1 ¾ C plus 2 TB sugar
2 ¼ C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp lemon zest
2 TB chopped basil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
½ C buttermilk
2 TB fresh lemon juice
3 egg whites


Glaze:
¼ C half and half
3 TB chopped basil
1 ½ C powdered sugar
2 TB fresh lemon juice
Dash of salt
And because I love the flavor I added a little lemon zest


Preheat oven to 325.
Use 1 TB of butter to grease a bundt pan and dust with 2 TB of the sugar.
Lightly spoon the flour and the next 3 ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
Combine 1 ½ C of the sugar and remaining butter in another bowl. 
Beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in rind, extract and eggs one at a time. 
Combine buttermilk and juice in a measuring cup then add to the sugar mixture. 
Add the basil to the flour bowl.
Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the butter so it can incorporate and become fluffy.
Place egg whites in a clean bowl and  with clean beaters whip them until soft peaks form.  Add the remaining sugar beating until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold into the batter and then turn out into the bundt pan.


Bake at 325 for 55 minutes.
To prepare the glaze combine the half and half and basil in a small bowl and microwave for 45 seconds.  Let is sit and cool for 5 minutes then strain out the basil.
Basilmomma
I didn’t do this step since I wanted you to see the basil but if you want to do it (like if your kids don’t like ‘green stuff’) then feel free.


Combine the rest of the ingredients in the small bowl then drizzle over cooled cake.


Enjoy, 
Basilmomma (Heather)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Thank you SO much!!

tanja said...

A great post with a wonderful guest!!! This cake recipe sounds fantastic! Heather, you did a great job!

Lark, I have found your lovely blog through Heather. You have a new follower:) I am so looking forward to explore all of your posts! Starting- now :)

The Country Cook said...

This is a very cool recipe! It is so unique! This is one of those kinds of sweet treats I like to make when I'm getting together with girlfriends - perfect. Great guest post!!

Unknown said...

Awesome Guest Post Heather! I just ♥ you and Lark both! This pound cake sounds heavenly : ) Mmmmm

Alil Country Sugar said...

Okay, I have got to try this. Lemon and basil? Loved the guest post.

Concetta said...

What a fantastic guest post today! This recipe looks just heavenly - I don't think you can go wrong with lemon and basil!
Thank you for introducing us to Heather -I will be heading right over to her blog to follow!
Love,
Concetta

Michele said...

So glad y'all got together on this post! When I say AWESOME, believe me I'm not exaggerating! I cannot resist a pound cake recipe and LOVE lemon and basil. Y'all really pushed my buttons with this one :)

Unknown said...

Oh! My heart is full after reading all of this...and so is my tummy ;)
Of course I made 2 cakes..always thinking ahead!

Thank you ALL for reading!!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for making Heather feel right at home! She is such a good friend, great Mother, giving Wife and an AWESOME Foodie!

Harvesting for Life said...

Great post to both Lark and Heather! Love this recipe Heather! Looks fabulous!

Bubbe Bites said...

Thanks for the recipe Healther. What a very unique recipe, and a great way to get rid of all that basil in the garden.

The Culinary Lens said...

Cool guest post...
This really is a unique frosting I will try this for sure.

The Better Baker said...

What an interesting recipe. Great post - thanks to both of you for being willing to share. YUM=O!!

Gloria Baker said...

This look amazing, nice and lovely post! gloria

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...