Friday, August 31, 2012

Layered Zucchini Rice Casserole


When my garden is in full 
production mode, I have ample
amounts of zucchini!
That's when I start to get creative.
You know....."sneak" it into cakes,
salad's and soups.
I have friends who make squash
 casserole's. I really like them too, it's 
just that I happen to live with (2)
VERY picky eaters...ok sometimes I
make it (3)..but who's counting?!
What ever I make has to "mask" that I
usually chose the lighter  fat free version 
of ingredients. Plus whole grain vs white....
the list goes on.
While I know My daughter likes squash
my husband does not. My daughter doesn't
 like onions, or tomatoes. And neither are
big fans of Brown rice....that was the
obstacle, I was facing.
Well...I am THRILLED to say 
both enjoyed this dish! I even
had some taste testers give me
feedback saying they weren't huge fans
of squash, but they loved this dish.
You and your family be the judge.

Layered Zucchini Rice Casserole
2 Med. Zucchini~ peeled/sliced
2 med. Yellow Summer Squash~peeled/sliced
1/2 tsp. Onion powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
Salt/ pepper to taste
2 C. Cooked Brown Rice
4 C. Light Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
2 C. Fat Free Sour Cream
1/4 C. Diced White Onion
1 (14oz.) Mild Rotel Tomato's with green chilies

I start by steaming the squash along with
the onion and garlic powder, salt/pepper 
until it is fork tender. Drain and set aside.
Place cooked rice into the bottom of a 
lightly greased 3 qt. baking dish.
In a bowl combine the sour cream, rotel
and onion together. Pour  half mixture over rice.
Sprinkle with half cheese. Layer the 
drained squash over cheese layer. 
Repeat with remaining sour cream layer
then top off with remaining cheese.
Cover with lid or foil, Bake at 350
for 30 minutes. Remove cover
bake another 10 minutes.
Let set 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy mixing things up,
Lark


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...