Monday, August 27, 2012

Slow Cooker Caramel Apple French Toast

With School just about to begin
I wanted to make something 
special for the "First Day back"...
However with my knee in a brace,
doctors orders to "stay down"...
I knew I would have to come up
with something to prepare ahead of time 
or it would be cold cereal.
My daughter loves French Toast,
and that got me to thinking
of one of my recipes I share 
around Holiday time.
I am sure you all have a "Overnight
French Toast Casserole" recipe
in your file as well.
Well I thought what if I made it
into a Slow Cooker friendly
recipe? ~ It was a HIT!

Here is what you will need:

Slow Cooker Caramel Apple French Toast
6 Eggland's Best Egg's~ beaten
2 C. Whole Milk
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 C. Brown Sugar~ divided
*2 Granny Smith Apples~ peeled, diced
1 Loaf of Day Old Bread~ cubed
* I have also used a can of Apple Pie Filling
Start by beating the eggs together with 
the milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
Place the cubed bread into a large
bowl. Pour egg mixture over bread,
toss to coat. Let sit and soak for 10 minutes.
Lightly spray your slow cooker
 dish with Pam.
Place half of the soaked bread into the
bottom of the slow cooker.
Sprinkle 1 diced apple over bread.
*If using the Pie Filling, spread half over bread.
Followed by 1/4 C. Brown Sugar sprinkled
over the apples. Repeat a second
layer with the remaining ingredients.
Cover and Bake on Low for 6 hours.
You will love the smell of this cooking
through out the night.
Then the next morning, just dish up
and serve with warm syrup and
powdered sugar.
**depending on how HOT your slow cooker cook's
you might need more milk. Also check on the 
cooking process...if it looks as if it doesnt need 
that much time to "cook", turn it off! I like to
remove the lid for the last half hour so the
top will harden a bit..not be soggy.**
The perfect morning,
Lark

4 comments:

Lisa Hitzeman said...

This sounds absolutely amazing Lark! I'm pinning it and I'm going to have to give it a try!!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Hello sweet favorite. Thanks looks fantastic!

The Better Baker said...

Its cookin. in the crockpot this very minute. I can hardly wait!

Sara said...

Have this in the crockpot now. First day of school tomorrow; kids will love this. Can't wait :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...