Friday, September 7, 2012

Lemon Cream Filled Sandwich Cookies

What do you do when you feel 
a little over whelmed, or a little stressed?
Some people choose to go to a movie,
or perhaps listen to some soothing music.
You can find my husband in his
wood working shop. My daughter
would be surfing the net.
Me....Well you can find me
doing one of 2 things.
Either I head out for a long run.
Or find me in the kitchen cooking or baking.
NO REALLY... My friends think I am Crazy.
Many times they've told me that cooking
IS what GIVES them stress. (lol)
For myself it is my little get-away.
The time I get to create something with my 
mind, hands and heart.  I challenge myself to 
think outside the box, come up with
something new. Put a new twist on a
an old favorite. Believe me not
every "creation" is a winner!
But I still enjoy the process. 

These cookies came about in a time I
was feeling a  bit overwhelmed.
I have shared with you all about my 
Little Sister Niki before. Well she is still
really struggling. It is so hard for me to see
her go through this. I want to be angry with
someone....anyone!  When there is NOTHING
I can do to help her, it makes me ....UGH!

Anyway, it just so happens this particular
week I was "told" I needed to donated
a few dozen goodies For a Bake Sale.
(I Love to Volunteer! So my husband had told a coworker
that I would for sure want to do this! Then he forgot
to inform me until the night before. I am
ashamed to say that I was NOT feeling very
"giving"...I didnt even ask what the 
proceed's went to, I just huffed and puffed and
stormed into the kitchen.)  
*more on the "story" after the recipe.

Lemon Cream Filled Sandwich Cookies
1 C. Butter~ softened
2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Egglands Best Egg's
1 tsp. Lemon extract
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Zest
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3 C. All Purpose Flour
1 C. Powdered Sugar

Filling:
8 oz. Cream Cheese~ softened
2 TBSP. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Lemon Zest
3 C. Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 375
In mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar
for 3 minutes. Add in vanilla, eggs, extract, juice
and zest, beat for 1 minute. Next place the 
remaining ingredients into mixing bowl
and blend well. If dough is slightly "sticky"
 you may want to add in a 1/4 C. more flour.
Let dough chill while you mix the filling.
For the filling beat the cream cheese
until smooth. Add in remaining
ingredients and beat well.
Place filling in covered
container, chill for 1 hour.
Roll dough into balls and 
slightly flatten. Bake for 9-11 minutes.
Cool on wire rack completely
before filling with and sandwiching.

Back to the "story".... As I storm into the kitchen,
my hubby following, telling me to just make a box of 
brownies~ "they wont care, what you make!".
NOT what I wanted to hear. I mean if they 
didnt care what I make then why make it?...
My attitude was NOT good.
Then the phone rings... I answer it...
It is my Mom wondering if I will talk to NIKI
because she wasnt having a good day.
Of course I want to! I try my hardest to make 
her laugh and tell me how she is feeling.
I tell her I can come visit and would she 
like me to bring her a treat? Knowing
Niki's Favorite dessert is Lemon Meringue Pie
I knew what was coming....and sure enough
that's what she wanted.  I  told her I was making
some cookies for a bake sale. She asked
if they were Lemon Cookies? Hmmmm?
Why Not? Sure Niki I will make Lemon Cookies!

*The MORAL of this "story" is ATTITUDE!*

After the phone call I changed my attitude.
Gone was the irritation, gone was my stress.
Replaced with "You Can Do it!" ~ Niki Attitude.  :)

Day's Later My hubby came home from work
with a  thank you card from the family
who held the Bake sale. Telling me that the 
Cookies where a hit! They also wanted to 
say thank you for helping them raise money
for the Special Olympics.
~Wow...it's as if Niki  had a part in it
herself!  No Matter what your
"stress reliever" is...do it with a 
GREAT ATTITUDE!
Lark


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...