Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sweet Potato Spudnuts (Doughnuts)

I don't often take the time to make
homemade doughnut's, because these
are one of the treats that I have NO
will power against. (NOT a good thing to have
 in my house....if you know what I mean?!)
That being said, lately I have been trying to
come up with new recipes for them.
(I must be asking for extra lbs. to jump on my body...lol)
I have made more doughnut recipes in
the last month, that even my family is
begging me to make something else.
I just wanted to let you know the "depth"
of my sincerity to my food blogging.  ;)
I am sure y'all have heard of
Spudnuts before? Well that is where I
got the idea for these delicious doughnuts.
I decided I would substitute sweet potatoes
for the regular mashed potatoes, and add in some
of my favorite Fall flavor inspired spices
to make them melt in your mouth.
It was a HUGE success.
I cant wait for you to try them out for yourself!
 
Sweet Potato Spudnuts (Doughnuts)
*This will make 3 1/2 dozen  doughnuts*
1 Large Sweet Potato ~ peeled/diced
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortening (not butter flavored)
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 TBSP. Vanilla
2 1/4 tsp. Dry Active Yeast ~ (I use Red Star)
2 Eggs ~ beaten
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
6 C. All Purpose Flour
 
Boiled Icing
1 Cup Boiling Water
2 lbs. Powdered Sugar
4 TBSP. Butter
4 TBSP. Vanilla (or Maple, or Cocoa)
 
Place all ingredients in to a
bowl and using a hand mixer
beat until smooth.
 
 
Start by placing your sweet potatoes
in a medium sauce pan, add the cinnamon
and cover with water. Bring to a boil until the
potatoes are fork tender. About 15 minutes.
(You can use Yellow or White Sweet Potatoes)
When they are ready, drain potatoes
reserving 1/2 Cup of the potato water.
 Mash the sweet potatoes,
(DO NOT add butter or anything else
 to the potatoes.) Measure out 1/2
Cup of the mashed sweet potatoes. 
If you have more than you need
for this recipe, you can freeze the extra
potatoes to use in another recipe.
In another saucepan add together the
milk, sugar and shortening. Stir until
the shortening is melted and the sugar
dissolved. Making sure not to boil.
Remove from heat and let cool
to room temperature.
In a small bowl combine the 1/2 warm
potato water and yeast together.
Let yeast bloom for 10 minutes.
Combine the baking soda, baking powder,
1/ Cup sweet potatoes and vanilla in your
 mixing bowl. Mixing to blend.
Next add in the cooled milk mixture as well
as the yeast. On a slow speed mix together.
While mixer is going add in eggs, salt.
Along with flour a cup at a time.
The dough should be smooth, not
to sticky. Remove from mixing bowl, knead
for a few minutes. Place in a greased bowl,
cover and let rise until double in size.
Punch down dough and roll out to a 1" inch
 thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Cut into desired size. I do not re-roll the dough.
 I love to cook up the doughnut holes as well. 
 Let them rest for 15 minutes.
 Usually I have them rest while I start my oil heating.
By the time the oil is ready, the doughnuts are.
I like to cook the doughnut holes first, so I can
 taste a few as I go....I mean so my family can.
Now before you start the frying process
make sure you have a rack ready to place
them on to drain off the excess oil.
As well as having your icing ready
to dip the hot donuts into.
Fry until golden brown on each side.
About 1 minute each side, depending on how
 hot your oil is. *Remember to reduce the heat
on the oil as you continue frying,
 as the oil retains its heat for a long time.
After letting the doughnuts cool for
a minute, dip each one into your icing.
Place back on wire rack to drain.
I like to double dip them, and then drizzle
with a contrasting icing to make them
look "fancy".
Now here is the hardest part....
pack them up and deliver them to
your friends before you eat them all!
Enjoy making these Sweet Potato
Doughnuts  even more by having your kids help
you roll out the dough, cut out the shape
and dip each doughnut into the icing.
Lark
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...