Saturday, March 17, 2012

Beirrocks

Let's start off by pronouncing this dish...
"Beer-Rocks"!
(And NO, there is no beer in this recipe)
 I first had these wonderful meat filled rolls
while in High School. Back in those days, the 
"lunch ladies" actually made everything by hand.
I was lucky enough to be a Aid to the Cook.
The talented Mrs. Rippetoe  made everything
from homemade rolls to soft and chewy brownies.
These Beirrocks were HER  very own special dish.
I never knew how much this dear woman
taught me until later on in life.  Some of my favorite
High School memories are of time spend cooking
with Mrs. Rippetoe.  I wish she was still with us
so I could thank her, for all she taught me.
So in her honor, I share with you this recipe.

Mrs. Ripptoe's Beirrocks
1.5 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 Med. White Onion~diced
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 Head Green Cabbage~thinly sliced

Start by making the Dinner Roll Dough
*you can also use frozen bread dough*
While the dough is rising you will cook the meat filling.
In a skillet brown your meat, onion and seasoning
together. Turn down heat, add the shredded
cabbage cover with lid. You just want the cabbage
to wilt, then remove from heat. DO NOT over cook.


Once your dough is ready, roll out individual
sized pieces of dough. Place a nice helping of
meat filling into the center of one dough.

Cover with another piece of dough,
making sure to pinch seal the seams.

Place on a lightly greased sheet pan 
to raise again for another 30 minutes.
(you can sprinkle tops with sesame seeds if desired)

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.
Serve warm.
*These are also very good with Pastrami,or Roast Beef *
I really enjoyed the memories that came 
with this recipe. I  hope you will take some time
to reminisce a few of your childhood recipes.
Thank You Mrs. Rippetoe,
Lark 

1 comment:

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Love this recipe!

Your blog is so pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...