Friday, June 14, 2013

Not Your Momma's Frog Eye Salad

 I'm not sure how y'all feel about
Frog-Eye Salad, however I do know what
I thought about it. (Not my favorite) I remember
my Mom making it when she was
expecting a large crowd. Other than that
we never had it. I know it wasn't one of
MY favorite salad's. For me I remember it
being kind of a "dry not to sweet" salad
with way to much coconut in it. (lol)
*Mind you this is in NO way an indication
of My Mothers lack of cooking skill's.
She was just preparing it as the recipe 
stated. My mom is a FABULOUS Cook!
That being said, One day I was trying to
think up what I would be serving for the Ladies
 at Bunco  this month, since it was my turn to host.
For those of you who do not know what Bunco
is~ it is a Dice game you play with 12 players.
SO MUCH FUN!
 You can find the Bunco game in most stores,
 (Walmart,Target) in the board game section.
If you're looking for a great way to spend
a night with friends or family , you NEED this game!
Since it is in the 100 degree's here in Nevada
I wanted to have something cool and refreshing.
So I decided on making a variety of salads.
And being my Mother's Daughter I first thought
of making Frog-Eye Salad because I knew
it would serve a large group. :)
I also knew that I would have to adapt my
Mother's recipe to make it stand out in
a good way. I hope y'all will give
this recipe a try and hopefully it will
meet your taste bud standards as well.
 
Not Your Momma's Frog-Eye Salad
1 (12oz.) Acini de Pepe
1 (20 oz.) Crushed Pineapple~ drain/reserve juice
1 (15oz.) Mandarin Oranges
1/2 C. Shredded Coconut
1 (10 oz.) Mini Marshmallow's
2 (8 oz.) Cool Whip Topping ~ Thawed
3 Eggs
3 TBSP. All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 C. Sugar
2 C. Strawberry Lemonade ~*You can use
any type of juice you like- Orange, Pineapple...
 
Start by preparing the Acini de pepe as
directed on the box, drain and rinse.
 Set aside until sauce is ready.
In a sauce pan combine the eggs, flour,
sugar, lemonade,  plus the reserved pineapple juice.
Whisk and continue over medium heat until
sauce thickens. Remove from heat, place in
an ice bath to help cool.
In a large bowl mix together the
pineapple, oranges, coconut, marshmallows,
acini de pepe and cool whip topping.
Finally fold in the cooled sauce.
Cover and let chill for at least an hour
before serving. *I think if you let it chill overnight
it makes a BIG difference in the texture and
intensifies the flavor even more.
Everything needs a second chance,
Lark  
 
 
 


1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

There you go again...creating somethin' wonderful! ;-} How fun you get together and enjoy Bunco with friends. I had an aunt that talked about it alot as she so enjoyed it too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...